Well anyway, as you can clearly tell so far, the point of this particular blog has nothing at all to do with baseball, APBA, or Mudville....except it does pertain to being "in touch" with those that are dear to us. In our case, you all know by now that one of our longest tenured members, Ron Bates, has been eerily absent from the league the past few months. Everyone has heard that he is struggling through cancer and the necessary treatments for it, but earlier today, I couldn't help but wonder how many of you actually THINK about Ron from time to time. Not call him, not email him, but just THINK of him. I know George and I think about him a lot. We've all met more than once, gotten together for a few summertime visits, played wiffle ball together, laughed at Ron falling from chairs.....become friends......beyond just being fellow league members and APBA aficionados. Personally speaking, my wife and I visited Ron and his lovely wife Shirley at their home in Portland OR. We had the pleasure of meeting his daughter. Him and Shirley drove to Washington a couple times to visit me and my wife and other MUD members. They even drove up to honor me by attending my USAF retirement ceremony in Washington! Yes, I'm proud to say we're friends. More than fellow members of Mudville. Of course you also know that Ron and I have had a few debates over some Mudville controversies, but despite those, none of my regard and respect for Ron as a friend has changed one iota.
But I digress. Back to my point. I took the time today to read through Ron's blog. You remember the link that's been sent out to the league before? Well, I thought I'd send it again.....ya know....just in case you've lately been like most of us get sometimes.....so wrapped up in our personal lives that we "forget" to spend time with our friends and family. In my opinion, Ron is exactly that...friend and family...and on the weekend of this Easter holiday, I sure hope you'll MAKE the time to spend just a few minutes "with him" by reading his blog. Send him a note to let him know you're thinking of him. Say a prayer for him if that's your thing. Heck, just sit in your car, crank up some Grateful Dead and think about him in private. I'm sure he'd appreciate spending those few private moments with you.
So without further adieu, here's the link to his blog. Check it out, will ya?
http://ronstreatmen
Nick
No comments:
Post a Comment